9.30.2010

The S Family ~ Columbia, MO documentary children's photography

I spent a fun two hours hanging out with this family of five last Saturday afternoon. Dave is a friend and a great local artist whose work is displayed in many businesses and homes in and outside of Columbia. He let me use his studio space back in April for my launch party and I wanted to return the favor by documenting some of his family's time together. I'm really excited about these images because they're the type of images that I'd want of my own family. They're totally unscripted, and together tell an authentic story of this family's time spent at home and around their property. My style of photography is not about posing, or only shooting during golden light hours. It's not about coordinating outfits and pretty props. Its not about getting that single perfect portrait. It's about telling the real story of a family through a series of authentic, documentary images. It's about families being themselves in whatever situation they've asked me to photograph them in. And when that happens I get to capture real images, like the ones you see here.
SFamilyof5_columbiamo_childrensphotography01
SFamilyof5_columbiamo_childrensphotography02
Untitled-1 SFamilyof5_columbiamo_childrensphotography03
SFamilyof5_columbiamo_childrensphotography05
SFamilyof5_columbiamo_childrensphotography04
SFamilyof5_columbiamo_childrensphotography06
SFamilyof5_columbiamo_childrensphotography07
SFamilyof5_columbiamo_childrensphotography08
SFamilyof5_columbiamo_childrensphotography09
SFamilyof5_columbiamo_childrensphotography10
SFamilyof5_columbiamo_childrensphotography11
SFamilyof5_columbiamo_childrensphotography12
Untitled-3 copy
SFamilyof5_columbiamo_childrensphotography14
SFamilyof5_columbiamo_childrensphotography15
SFamilyof5_columbiamo_childrensphotography16
SFamilyof5_columbiamo_childrensphotography17
SFamilyof5_columbiamo_childrensphotography18
SFamilyof5_columbiamo_childrensphotography19
SFamilyof5_columbiamo_childrensphotography20
SFamilyof5_columbiamo_childrensphotography21
SFamilyof5_columbiamo_childrensphotography22
SFamilyof5_columbiamo_childrensphotography23
SFamilyof5_columbiamo_childrensphotography24
SFamilyof5_columbiamo_childrensphotography25
Dave & Lisa, I hope these images are proof that life at home is not boring! Thanks for letting me hang out with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment